Generally two passes are done. First past, requires half the payment in advance. Once the writer has completed the edits, a second pass of the manuscript is completed upon receipt of the another 25% of the original fee and the final 25% is due prior to delivery of the final manuscript. Work will be done in Google docs only and a shared document will contain all the work. The final manuscript will be delivered in proper manuscript formatting. This is not a detailed copy/line edit or proofreading.
A developmental edit is sometimes called a structural edit, a deep-dive edit, a macro edit, or a big-picture edit. This is an organizational edit. Chapters may be moved, holes or missing text might be suggested, chapters may be renamed or reordered.
- Edits will provide edits that give the text a cohesive flow.
- jargon, cliches, etc. to be defined or eliminated.
- Check for tone and language
- Identify things that require context and clarity
- Ensure smooth transitions between chapters.
- Look for holes/fill in missing content.
- Ensure that prose is clear and appropriate for the target audience.
- Assist in ensuring the prose uses engages the reader.